Subject: [parkwoodresidents] Traffic concerns in Parkwood -- exploring solutions
Date: 6/11/2006 2:18:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

Hello Neighbors,

At the last PRA meeting, I made a brief presentation on traffic concerns in Parkwood with the proposal that we request a traffic study from the Montgomery County Department of Public Works and Transportation (DPWT). And now by default I am the neighborhood traffic committee. The group at the meeting decided to get as much input as possible from neighbors before requesting the study. Here's how the process works:

1) We identify the section of roadways on which traffic volume and speeding is most problematic, and specify a 60 minute period that we believe traffic is heaviest. The PRA submits a letter to the DPWT outlining this information and requests a study for traffic calming be done. If you believe there is a 60 minute period in which over 100 vehicles pass by your house, and that speeding is an issue, please contact me so that we can request to include that section of roadway in the study request.

2) DPWT will conduct a traffic study for the specified 60 minute period. Depending on the volume and speeds they find, DPWT will make recommendations to the PRA about traffic calming measures that traffic engineers believe would be most effective. Recommendations can range from putting out the cart that flashes vehicle speeds to passing drivers, to building traffic circles.

3) The PRA can endorse proposals seen as the best fit for the neighborhood, or decide to take no action.

4) Even if action is favored by the PRA, 80% of the residents on the affected roadway and 50% of residents on adjoining streets must give approval before any roadway engineering takes place (e.g., speed bumps, medians, roundabouts, etc).

There are other requests that can be made of Montgomery County, including installation of sidewalks, signage to reduce traffic volume (e.g., "No left turn 7-9 am, M-F" -- note that these signs also apply to residents), and speed cameras. All of these requests, and any others thay you may think of, should be coordinated under the Renew Montgomery program. If you have a request, please contact me. I will compile all requests so that the PRA can submit them as a package and monitor the County response to the requests.

To see the requests for Renew Montgomery that have been made to date, please see Liz Brennan's letter posted on the PRA website under "Docs" (

To see the presentation I made about the options and procedures to address traffic concerns, please see the power point presentation (Traffic concerns in Parkwood) uploaded to the "files" section of the Yahoo Groups page ( This presentation includes links to the websites from which I obtained most of the information I presented.

Do not hesitate to contact me with questions, concerns, or interest in joining the traffic committee.

Lara Akinbami
10201 Parkwood Drive
(301) 896-0222

[Parkwood Home] [Printable Page] [Print]